Stu-DENT Network
Welcome to the Stu-DENT Network Forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Stu-DENT Network
Welcome to the Stu-DENT Network Forums!
Stu-DENT Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DAT Content

3 posters

Go down

DAT Content Empty DAT Content

Post  Stu-DENT (Admin) Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:20 pm

The DAT contains four sections:
1. Natural Sciences, which contains
a. Biology - it has 40 questions
b. General Chemistry (GC) - it has 30 questions
c. Organic Chemistry (OC) it has 30 questions

2. Perceptual Ability PAT - it has 90 questions and tests you on perception of two and three Dimensional objects

3. Reading Comprehension (RC) - tests your deductive reasoning skills and how well you analyze basic scientific data.

4. Quantitative Reasoning (QR) - Math! Tests your knowledge of basic mathematics (algebra, trigonometry, etc) It has 40 questions.
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Admin

http://stu-dentdiaries.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

DAT Content Empty perceptual Ability

Post  phiffer Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:56 pm

As far as the perceptual Ability component of the DAT, how is it weighed when compared to the Biology or Chemistry component?

phiffer

Back to top Go down

DAT Content Empty Re: DAT Content

Post  Stu-DENT (Admin) Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 pm

phiffer wrote:As far as the perceptual Ability component of the DAT, how is it weighed when compared to the Biology or Chemistry component?

Naturally the sciences are looked at first by the adcoms and hence carries more weight. However, there are some schools that weigh PAT heavily (but never more than the sciences)
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

DAT Content Empty Thanks

Post  phiffer Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks for your prompt response. I am thinking of taking the DATs within the next 6 months, what prep course would you recommend, and if so, why?

phiffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu-DENT (Admin) Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm

If you think you are not well organized and have the extra cash then a course like Kaplan's will do you good.
Kaplan has two courses that can be beneficial. A classroom course and an online course. The classroom course is a bit more expensive. You will get a lot of materials and resources of you chose either one. However, I do not find that it is totally necessary to attend an in class course as you basically study and go through all the materials on your own anyway. Plus it costs more.
Just my 2 cents Wink
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ames0545 Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi! First of all, this looks like a great site. (Good Job!)

I have been studying for the DAT since my winter break and have taken some practice tests from Kaplan to see how I'm doing. On the practice test, I got around a 14-15 on the sciences and Reading, then a 18 on quantitative reasoning and a 21 on the PAT.

I feel that I'm at a disadvantage. I'm a Biology major, yet much of the material that was covered in the test was subject matter that I have never learned, and the things that were from Kaplan have not sunk in yet. I plan on taking the DAT in June, or later possibly if I feel things aren't going well.

What are some tips on re-learning/learning some of the sciences (like the god awful general chem) and things like physiology that would raise my scores? And do they allow scientific calculators at the test?

ames0545

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu-DENT (Admin) Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:16 am

Hey ames, nice of you to stop by!
So you have been studying for the DAT for a while...The key to doing well on this test is repetition and practice. I do not think you are at a disadvantage, being a Biology major. As a Bio major you cover (or should) cover most of the things covered on the DAT. However, if you have not, do not despair...Kaplan is good for starters, it covers the basics. I think you should compliment your Kaplan studying with something else, like the DAT Destroyer or the DAT Achiever. These have more challenging questions that will surely help you on the test.

Good job with the Quant and PAT, esp Quant! many people do poorly in this section so you have an advantage here. You should definitely practice some more and look to other resources for help. Perhaps even a Kaplan class would help Smile

One note of advice: Do NOT sit the test until you feel you are completely ready. When you sit the test more than once, SOME SCHOOLS might hold it against you.

**Calculators are not allowed in the exam. The only thing you are given are 2 laminated sheets, 2 fine point markers, and an eraser. You are not allowed to take anything of yours.
http://sites.google.com/site/studentdocdds/my-reading-list
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Stu-DENT (Admin)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum